The use of stem cell therapy has increased very rapidly over the last decade to such a degree that it is expected to revolutionize the field of Orthopedics. This treatment can be used to treat certain bone and cartilage defects caused by trauma or infection as well as to stimulate ligament and tendon healing in long-standing injuries.
Stem cells contain growth factors which boost your body’s healing response and lower pain sensations. They are thought to improve the internal environment of the joint or soft tissue.
The main benefits of stem cell therapy include:
- Outpatient Procedure: Stem cell therapy can be performed as an outpatient procedure or in the office setting.
- Minimal Downtime: Most patients are able to return to activities of daily living within 1-2 days.
- Fast Acting: Depending on the severity of the condition, patients experience improvement in painful symptoms within 1 week to 3 months.
- Reduces Use of Pain Medications: Stem cells help effectively control pain leading to reduction in the need for pain medication.
- Natural: Stem cell therapy harnesses the natural healing capacity of your body to stimulate the healing process.
- Reduced Risk of Complications: As they are obtained from your own body, there is minimal risk of an adverse reaction or infection with stem cell therapy.
Are you a candidate for stem cell therapy?
Stem cell therapy may be right for you if you have chronic knee pain or other joint pain, mild-to-moderate osteoarthritis in which complete collapse of the joint has not yet occurred, long-standing tendonitis, tears in the ligament and cartilage tissue or musculoskeletal injuries that have not responded to conservative treatment.
Stem cell therapy may also help you avoid or at least postpone the need for more invasive treatments such as surgical repair or total joint replacement. Athletes, manual laborers, or anyone desiring to return to their active lifestyle as soon as possible would most likely benefit from this therapy.