More and more patients are opting to get joint replacement done as a same day surgery, and many are younger individuals who want to stay active later in life. You check in to the surgery center in the morning and you are discharged home on the very same day. Here’s why same day joint replacement may be a good option for you.
Joint replacement surgery used to be a very invasive and painful procedure that required patients to spend at least a few days in the hospital recuperating after the surgery. But with the significant advances in medical science and technology, joint replacement can now be done in a way that allows you to heal faster, feel less pain, and be discharged on the same day as the surgery.
- Minimally invasive surgery: Joint replacement can be done through smaller incisions ensuring there is less trauma to the tissues. This ensures faster healing and quicker recovery.
- Cutting-edge surgical techniques: Advanced surgical approaches, custom instrumentation and in some cases robotic-assisted surgery allallow the surgeon to improve the operative process, implant placement and decrease unnecessary tissue damage.
- Better anesthesia methods: Patients are generally given a combination of local anesthesia and pain medications for better pain control. We use a multimodal pain approach that significantly improves pain control while minimizing or in some cases eliminating the need for opioid pain medication
- Emphasis on early mobilization: Patients are encouraged to get on their feet as soon as possible to prevent complications such as blood clots and help maximize range of motion in the joint.
- Less risk of infections: Because patients spend very little time in the hospital or surgical center, there is considerably less risk of acquired infections.
While joint replacement surgery can be an intimidating process, know that you are in excellent hands. Our world-class surgical team and support staff has helped many individuals get back to their active lifestyles with minimal delay after same day joint replacement. Book an appointment for an evaluation of your joint condition and customized treatment recommendation.
Dr. Frisch is an orthopedic surgeon focusing on minimally invasive hip and knee joint replacement as well as regenerative treatments for enhanced healing. He believes in creating a very personalized experience with the highest level of service. For all appointments & inquiries, please contact our offices located in Rochester and River District, MI.