Proper nutrition is the strong foundation on which to rebuild your body after sustaining injury or when recovering from orthopedic surgery. Listed below are some important bone and muscle healing foods that could help speed up your recovery:
- Protein: In addition to helping build muscle, protein is also important for bone health. It constitutes nearly 55% of your bone volume and can help increase bone mass. Good sources of protein include eggs, meat, poultry, seafood, soybean, quinoa, peas, and lentils.
- Calcium: It is an important mineral that helps keep your bones strong. It is not produced by your body and needs to be absorbed from foods such as calcium-fortified cereals, kale, broccoli, sardines, salmon, and green leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin D: This vitamin is important for bone health as without it your body cannot absorb calcium from the food you eat. The sun is the best source of vitamin D and about 15-20 minutes of direct sunlight every day is usually all you need. Food sources of vitamin D include egg yolk, fatty fish, cheese, and fortified milk.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin helps in collagen synthesis which is necessary for repairing ligaments, tendons, and other soft tissue structures that support your bones and joints. Citrus fruits and vegetables such as bell peppers and sprouts are good sources of vitamin C.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: They play a role in formation of new bone and have anti-inflammatory properties that help you heal faster after injury. Good sources of omega-3 fatty acids are salmon, tuna, tofu, walnuts, and flax seeds.
- Fiber: A common side effect of pain medications often prescribed during the recovery phase is constipation. Increasing your fiber intake at this time can help keep your bowels functioning properly. High-fiber foods include apples, bananas, oranges, dark-green vegetables, beans, and legumes.
Be sure to include these foods to your diet to boost your body’s natural healing capability.
Dr. Frisch is a specialist orthopedic surgeon focusing on minimally invasive hip and knee joint replacement as well as regenerative treatments for enhanced healing. He believes in creating a very personalized experience with the highest level of service. For all appointments & inquiries, please contact our offices located in Rochester and River District.